Thursday, July 16, 2009

God is Good

Over the last few weeks I have been refreshed with the truths that God is 1) Good, 2) Wise, 3) Just, and 4) Powerful. I’m not sure why this struck me so much. I suppose that it was the Spirit weaving different thoughts and truths in my mind.
At the time I was thinking of the need to love people more concretely…to actually do something about what I learn and hear about the world, and to take care of my own life and family too. I was also read Ecclesiastes, thinking about how wrong that author had it, how he must be wrong about God’s goodness, and how he was not open to the idea of the resurrection. Around that same time I read a passage in the Summa Theologica of Thomas Aquinas, talking about the Incarnation.
All these thoughts converged on me at the same time, that God is essentially good, that even when he knows that things are bad, he has plans to make all things new, and even when all deserve punishment for messing up God’s creation, God desires to be merciful rather than to condemn us. It struck me: God is good. This is our best, most joyous thought: God is good.
And our worst thought is this: God is not good. For if this is true, there is no reason for hope of a joyous afterlife, or of mercy, or any good thing. If God is essentially evil, or a mixture of good and evil, then we have few reasons to really be happy, and to look forward to the future.
There was a stirring of great joy in me, so much that my heart began to ache. I believe that this thought was at least a part of the inspiration for Paul’s words:
“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4.4-7).
If God is not good, what sureness is there in prayer? Little to none. But for Christians, who know God as good, there is assurance of answered prayer. So then, let us pray that God would give us good gifts; let us pray for wisdom and understanding; let us pray thankfully and consistently; let us pray that the Holy Spirit would move us to greater and greater joys.

Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful, and enkindle in them the fire of Your love. Send forth Your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
O God, You instructed the hearts of those who believed in You by the light of the Holy Spirit. Grant us in the same Spirit to be truly wise and ever to rejoice in His consolation: through Christ our Lord. Amen.
(From Prayers and Devotions of the Catholic Faith)

No comments: