Tuesday, June 8, 2010

READ THIS BOOK: Who Really Goes to Hell – The Gospel You’ve Never Heard.

Read this Book: Who Really Goes to Hell – The Gospel You’ve Never Heard.

I recently read Who Really Goes to Hell – The Gospel You’ve Never Heard, by David I. Rudel. I was initially skeptical about this book for a few reasons: 1) The Publisher is Biblical Heresy Press; 2) I am generally skeptical of supposedly new ways of understanding the Bible, as most have a very Postmodern ring to them (as the next book I will be reviewing, called “The Naked Gospel”.

Don’t let these fool you. As I read on, with fewer and fewer objections along the way, I was brought to a deeper understanding of the gospel than I have ever known. The title of the book seems to be pointed at grabbing the attention of those who might not be interested in a scholarly work on many of the essential doctrines of Christianity; but the book is just that. Now, I do not know my Bible well enough the properly critique the book, but what I read really made sense to me.

The book purports to destroy many of the common Evangelical Protestant doctrines in favour of a much more biblically founded teaching. I would say that the book is successful in this. This book has helped me to understand, or at least know another quality viewpoint on, many major important biblical teachings, including: What is the role of the Holy Spirit?, How are we to be judged after death?, What is justification?, Why does repentance feature so prominently in Jesus’ teachings?, Why do we need to continue to ask for forgiveness?, What is the relationship with faith and good works?, How does Jesus save us?, What is the importance of Jesus’ entire life?, What does the Bible mean by “God’s wrath”?, etc., etc., etc.

This book I so helpful that I recommend it to all who read this review. This is my advice: get this book. Granted, I know that this book will give some people trouble and will dismantle their current faith, but I believe that it will build up something more solid in the reader. Also, at the very least, the book provides an alternative paradigm to Protestant teachings; this is helpful as truth is often best discerned when two or more options are in competition and one shows itself to be more dominant.

I do not wish to give away any of the answers described in this book, but I will warn that it seems to be something much closer to a Catholic teaching, although the author doesn’t seem to like Catholics or Protestants very much for their doctrines.

Give this book a read. I have to read it again to glean more from it and to understand it so that I can put it in competition with other paradigms that I know, but I am already excited to have read this book once. Read this book. I have not said that about any other book that I have reviewed to date. After you’ve read this book, let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Shawn Milla said...

Your output is hard to keep up with! Is it this book:

http://www.whoreallygoestohell.com/Free-Download/Salvation-and-Judgment.pdf

Looks interesting! I agree with the publishers name... terrible. But in your face and extreme.

Do you have any idea what courses you'll be taking an Wycliffe this fall?

Best,
Shawn

A said...

Shawn,
yes, that is the book...but I think that is an earlier copy with more spelling errors and all that.
I don't know what I'll be taking at Wycliffe yet. I am supposed to register for classes sometime this month I think.

Dan said...

This author demonstrates open ignorance of the Bible e.g. only Jews authored the NT, obedience only to Jewish cultural laws, no gospel for the gentiles, and complete lack of contextual understanding e.g. faith, works, creation. His summary of problems with the gospel is telling http://www.whoreallygoestohell.com/downloads/BiblicalProblems.pdf. This man preaches an entirely "different" gospel.