Sunday, September 12, 2010

Review: The Red Letters Project

The Red Letters Project is a 3-disk, 40-track album that puts the words of Jesus from the New Living Translation of Mathew to music. The package includes a booklet of The Gospel According to Matthew (NLT) so that you can read Jesus’ words as you listen to them.
The Red Letters Project must be taken on its own terms: rhythmic reading set to rock music. To expect something different than this is to reject the project. So, if you like rock music and lyrics that are sometimes disjointed and not always poetic, yet are word-for-word and line-by-line renderings (often sung, sometimes read) of Jesus’ words in the Gospel of Matthew, then you will enjoy this album.
I recommend listening to some songs from the album many times before deciding to purchase the album. Personally, I think I will enjoy listening to some of the songs from the album from time to time, especially when it comes time to meditate on some of the words of Jesus.

Here are some other review that you might find helpful:

Found at http://www.theredlettersproject.com/
The creators' sincere desire is apparently to see Scripture made famous—or at least better known for those who might otherwise ignore its life-changing inspiration. The project uses every influence of rock imaginable to dynamically impress the Bible's truths in the hearts of listeners.
Red Letters is certainly done professionally, but the recitative nature of cramming historic, and sometimes-antiquated, language into songs is hard to leisurely digest. Will the intended audience of teens, young adults, and music fans find it relevant? Hard to say. But whether the project reaches one or one million, good things will happen. According to some black letters of the Bible—those spoken by the Father, not the Son—putting God's Word out there "always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it" (Isa. 55:11). – Christianity Today
“I think you could easily slip this CD on for behind music and see if anyone notices” – Amy
“This music is not your typical church hymns…The singers are fantastic. I also loved the way they mixed the songs on the cds. You have a few up beat songs and then a ballad. It really gave the cds a nice pace.” – Natalie
“This 3-CD set is, honestly, like nothing I've ever heard before. Mario Canido has put the words of the book of Matthew from the New Living Translation to music. Yeah, I hear you - usually these kinds of things don't turn out too well. And, in all honesty, that's what I was expecting here! But, after listening for several days now, I actually like it. No, I really like it! It isn't cheesy. It isn't poorly performed. It's rock music done well, the perfect sound for me to rock out to while I'm driving down the road. And now, I'm getting to the words of Jesus stuck in my head. I find myself singing it in the shower, and thinking of it during the day. Tyndale, I think you have a potential big seller on your hands with the right marketing. Something to remember when you listen: Yes, the lyrics sometimes can be a bit awkward when they don't rhyme. But, Canido has done a wonderful job putting this together in a way where it really isn't bothersome at all. Like I've said already, I've never seen the Bible put to song as well as this. In closing, just let me once again reiterate my approval of and excitement for this project. It has the potential to not only be a big hit and big seller, but also to impact quite a few people's faith who are fading because either they don't understand God's Word, or they've become bored with it. Much thanks to Tyndale for believing in this, and Mario Canido for putting the time and energy into making it happen. Let the kingdom advance!” – Kevin Walker

You can also go here for more reviews.

No comments: